HOW TO BE A WINNER –
WHY WINNERS WIN!
The top 5% do 95% of the winning. Why, because they set goals.
One knows they are going to win, not cocky, just fact.
Expectations become internalized.
A. Conscious (thoughts)
B. Sub-conscious (skills)
C. Self-Image (habits, attitudes & how we picture ourself)
1. One can only concentrate on one thing at a time.
2. What you cause someone to picture is important (Black Cows; don't spill the coffee)
3. Sub-conscious mind is the source of all your power.
4. SC moves you to the conscious mind.
5. Self image and performance are EQUAL. To change your performance, change your self-image.
6. Replace the self-image you have with the self-image you want.
7. When your conscious, sub-conscious and self-image are all aligned and balanced, good performance is easy.
8. Use principle of reinforcement - (use positive prediction & be careful who & what you talk about. If you worry about something, its likely to happen).
9. Use REHEARSAL - MIND can't tell between actual vs. imaginary.
10. Deal with pressure - by controlling your anxiety and arousal - through rehearsal.
GOAL(Is it achievable or a pipe dream?)
1. Decide what you want
2. Decide when you get it
3. List the pay-value (what will it cost you in sacrifice)
4. Determine the obstacles in your way
5. What is your plan to get your goal?
6. Ask important questions:
A. Will the plan work?
B. Can I work the plan?
C. Is the prize worth the price?
7. Schedule it!
8. Start Now!
9. Set your next goal before complete your current goal.
10. Never, never quit.
1.Point of initiation (starts process, be consistent with this)
2. Point of attitude (confidence, gear up the sub-conscious. Begin visualization)
3. Point of direction (concentration on task at hand and its success, continue visualization)
4. Point of control (focus on preparing to execute the most important part of task, "be loose & quick, see the ball " - for baseball)
5. Point of focus (executing your technique "get a good pitch and cut the ball in half.")
TRAINING (TO BUILD UP THE SUB-CONSCIOUS MIND)
1. Catch yourself doing something right (positive reinforcement)
2. Train 4 or 5 days a week.
3. Wherever you are, be all there.
4. Rehearse game situation within the practice.
5. When you are practicing well, keep it going... (shoot a lot/hit a lot, etc).
6. We raise or lower ourselves to the standards we are around.
7. Make a bet with yourself and when you win it, pay off.
TO IMPROVE -
1. You must be willing to change!
2. Identify the attitudes and habits you need to change
3. Set up a new self image that is in direct conflict with your old habits and attitudes.
4. Exchange the old self-image for the new self-image.
SEVEN STRATEGIES OF THE MENTALLY TOUGH
1. Principle of transportation (adapt and change habits quickly)
2. Your past is not a prison (you can win the big one)
3. Imitate the champions
4. Train hard, compete easy
5. Visualize before game day
6. Take all problems as positives
7. HAVE BIG DREAMS
Thanks to Lanny Bassham, 1976 Olympic Gold Medalist marksmanship and his book, With Winning in Mind